วันจันทร์ที่ 2 พฤศจิกายน พ.ศ. 2552

Kassai (Applause) - One Leap of Nostalgic State: And I've learned about Enka

I've tried to find a spare time for reviewing not-so-new-anymore albums in this year. And I rarely find it. I started this blog when I came across something that I want to mention so much. It began with anime named Natsu no Arashi! ... which I've just watch it 4 episode so far.

Natsu no Arashi or Summer Storm interest me for 3 reasons.
1.) It came from the same writer of School Rumble (2 teaspoon of hilarity and 1 teaspoon of Heart-Warming)
2.) Anime produced by Semi-Experimental Technicolor-crazy Studio Shaft who also did Zetsubou Sensei (So Long, Mr.Despair) series
3.) It's the story about younger boy who have a feeling for elder girl, telling in somewhat atmospheric , vivid and a little nostalgic

Then I came across this....




To tell you...first, I'm not japanese.
Second, I was born around 80s and grew up in early-90s ... spent my teenage life around late 90s to 2000s till now. So I have no whatsoever connection with 70s scene or this song before.

This song is called Kassai which mean Applause. It's lyric (I don't dare to translate the whole song into english) is about singer singing a sad song after s/he departed and/or broke-up with the lover with sentences about "The shadow painted on the white wall/Standing Alone/In the Gloomy and isolated living room" or something alike.

It's style derived from Western Oldie pop mixed with string-instrument of Enka (Japanese Traditional music) to be fair Enka in modern music become more like other oriental pop-ballad (listen to some oldie cantonese pop for example) which is also influenced by western pop dominating scene.

I really feel appreciated, getting fluttered by comfortable yet sad wind. Covered by the magic of the past but to know more about it's shade of melancholy after the sick war, losing people who retry struggling with all their strength, Hard-workers with unknown future that they may or may not cherish their reward, ...Oh hex! I've forgotten that it's lyric talk about the broken-hearted.

And if you actually agree with above paragraph...you're now really into Enka

Enka's music-style is to bring you to meet airy japanese idealism and sakura-blooming romantic attitude...sometime it's very nationalistic. And in Meiji period this kind of song are sung by people's right movement that advocate democracy.

But those are all in the past...

Oh my witch!! I might leave you wonder by now that why I talked about Natsu no Arashi! in the first place.

Kassai I 've posted above is Chiaki Naomi's version which is her "signature hit" as Teresa Teng did with her Tian Mi Mi

But the version I had found before is this...




It's Horie Yui's image song for Natsu no Arashi! other Seiyuu (Voice-actor/actress) also have their image song as covering retro/oldie japanese pop music that might invoke the power to leap to Nostalgic State for some people even they were not born of that age.

And to be honest I like Hocchan version more than the original. Solely because Horie Yui's voice are more comfortable and breezy, she might lack voice of sorrow but I think it's deeply buried into the song.... And recently, I listen to it at most 10 times a day (at least 3) it's completely earworm for me.But it's still touching every time I listen to it

The sweet candy of present might not match the original
But doesn't one pitch in Enka tell us to look for brighter future?...in this such craving present!

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: